Manning Fulton’s family office practice has served the needs of North Carolina’s high net worth families for over 55 years. Our family office practice is a unique integration of business, legal, tax, and financial professional services that Manning Fulton provides select high net worth families, who desire such integrated or global assistance from one professional services advisor.
We will often collaborate with other professional service providers in assisting the client with this more comprehensive set of services, and may either "quarterback" the services with the various professionals or otherwise act as a "team member" pursuant to directives from an active client or another professional. The need for these comprehensive services has increased in recent years with the ever growing complexity of needs and opportunities facing high net worth families, particularly those with closely held businesses or related ownership interests. While there are other professional service organizations which are providing such integrated services in similar fashion, the Firm has found substantial opportunity with select clients with strong relationships with the firm or certain attorneys, and who trust our experience, judgment, credibility, and technical expertise to meet their comprehensive and complex needs. These clients typically look to the Firm or select attorneys to fill a function that might be served by a chief financial officer in larger organizations, but have concluded that their affairs are not so substantial as to afford such an employee, and realize that the Firm can provide or coordinate similar services and more comprehensive legal services as well on a less expensive contract basis.
The Firm tailors the scope and scale of these services to fit the particular needs or requests of each client. Typical services provided by the Firm in such family office engagements include:
- Estate and tax planning and optimal wealth transfer strategies
- Asset protection planning
- Business succession planning
- Cash flow modeling and related planning
- Trust administration and fiduciary income tax return preparation
- Charitable donations and tax exempt charitable organizations
- Family partnerships, limited liability companies, and corporations and related management and control
- Business transactional representation
- Business acquisitions and sales
- Accredited investor investment representation (angel activity)
- Comprehensive legal representation including litigation
- Insurance planning including wealth replacement, buy-sell, and key-man
- Retirement plans and related tax planning
- Acquisition and disposition of aircraft, boats, real estate, and other high-value personal assets
The attorneys in our family office practice have been recognized as leaders in the areas of estate planning, business succession planning, corporate law, and real estate law. Manning Fulton’s family office practice includes three attorneys who are also Certified Public Accounts, three board certified specialist in estate planning, three former chairs of the North Carolina Bar Associations Tax Council, two fellows of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, and corporate lawyers who routinely represent high net worth individuals and large privately held companies in their business transactions.