Your estate plan is effective only if it is properly administered. The estate / trust administration lawyers at Manning Fulton protect your interests by working with individual and corporate fiduciaries in matters of probate, estate and trust administration. Specifically, our lawyers guide executors, administrators, guardians, trustees and beneficiaries throughout the entire estate administration and settlement process, by:
- Beginning probate proceedings
- Collecting the information to prepare income and estate tax returns
- Advising on the determination, accounting treatment and valuation of estate assets
- Choosing the right tax-favored elections, deductions and estate tax payment vehicles
- Advising on payment of claims, expenses and taxes
- Disposing of and distributing estate assets.
No matter how hard you’ve worked to accumulate your assets, your efforts could be wasted without the right guidance to protect your legacy. Manning Fulton has one of the largest estate /trust administration practices in North Carolina. We concentrate on the creation, preservation and protection of our clients’ assets. We strive to meet your personal, financial and business objectives with careful attention to the minimization of income, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes.
Our lawyers include two Fellows of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, and three Board Certified Specialists in Estate Planning and Probate Law. Because three of our lawyers and three of our estate administration paralegals are CPAs, we know how to work with your accountants, bankers, financial advisors and insurance professionals who serve you. In addition, our lawyers have an exceptional record of leadership and service in their areas of practice, including:
- Three chairs of the North Carolina Bar Association Tax Section
- Two Chairs of the North Carolina Bar Association Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section
- Two Chairs of the North Carolina Bar Association Estate Administration Manual Committee
- Chairs of the Tax Section Continuing Legal Education and Legislative Liaison Committees
- Four editors of the North Carolina Bar Association Tax Section Newsletter
- Six lawyers received the highest rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the primary attorney rating service
These influential positions enable our lawyers to monitor the frequent changes in state and federal tax laws, which give Manning Fulton clients a strategic advantage.
Our estate / trust administration lawyers understand that the estate administration and settlement process for some clients may require the resolution of certain disputes. As one of the largest estate planning and administration practices in North Carolina, we have practiced extensively before the Internal Revenue Service, the North Carolina Department of Revenue and the United States Tax Court. We use our experience to work for favorable resolution of our clients’ estate tax controversies.
In addition, we often work with the firm’s family law and litigation lawyers to settle sensitive disputes regarding the validity, construction and administration of wills and trusts.
Our team approach and skill allow us to focus on what matters to assist you with your and your family’s needs.