Direct: (919) 510-9265
Phone: (919) 787-8880
Fax: (919) 325-4607
3605 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27612
A member of the firm's corporate practice, David D. Dahl has been practicing law at Manning Fulton since 1982. Dave practices primarily in the areas of closely held business, tax, and estate planning. Dave is recognized throughout the State of North Carolina for his federal and state tax controversy practice.
Over the years Dave has advised many family business owners with respect to acquisitions, sales, employment matters, tax issues, transition of ownership and management to the next generation, estate planning for closely held businesses and shareholder disputes. Dave has been involved in representing franchisees for over 20 years, and has substantial experience with tax structuring for real estate transactions including tax deferred exchanges.
In the area of tax controversy Dave was a trial attorney for the Internal Revenue Service, Office of District Counsel, Cleveland, Ohio before coming to Manning, Fulton. He tried numerous cases with the IRS, and since leaving the IRS he has represented clients before the IRS Examination Division, Appeals Division, United States Tax Court, United States District Court and United States Appeals Court. Dave has also represented clients in a range of issues before the North Carolina Department of Revenue.
Dave continues to be active in the Tax Section of the North Carolina Bar Association as well as a liaison between the Tax Bar and the Internal Revenue Service and the North Carolina Department of Revenue. Dave has also advised various nonprofit organizations and foundations with respect to formation, operation, and tax matters. He speaks periodically at continuing legal education seminars and has served in an adjunct capacity with the Duke University Law School Low Income Tax Clinic and Entrepreneurship Clinic.
Dave is listed among Business North Carolina's Legal Elite (2012-2013) in the area of tax and estate planning, in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013, 2014) in the area of Corporate Law, and in North Carolina Super Lawyers (2012, 2013) in the area of tax.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Bristol University, Bristol, England, EconomicsRotary International Fellow, graduate studies in Economics
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Epsilon, magna cum laude, 1974
Admitted to Practice
- State of North Carolina, 1984
- State of Ohio, 1980
- Tax controversy representation for individuals and businesses: income, estate, sales and franchise taxes
- Formation and advice to charter and private schools
- Representation of McDonald’s franchisees
- Family business disputes and succession planning
- Real property exchange transactions
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section
- Tax Section, has served as:
- IRS Liaison
- NC Department of Revenue Liaison
- American Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Speaker, Continuing Legal Education Seminars
- Community College Instructor
- Business law
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
- BSA Troop 28 Scoutmaster
- A.E. Finley YMCA, Advisory Board Member
- Magellan Charter School Board, Past Chair