Direct: (919) 510-9246
Fax: (919) 325-4610
3605 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27612
Michael S. Harrell has been a member of Manning Fulton's litigation practice since he was licensed in the state of North Carolina in 1990.
Clients benefit from his significant experience in the state appellate process, having prosecuted and defended over seventy-five appeals during the course of his career. He has argued before the North Carolina Court of Appeals over fifteen times and six times before the North Carolina Supreme Court. His work in the appellate arena has established new precedents in a wide variety of cases, including domestic law and adoptions, landlord-tenant relationships, commercial law and contracts, negligence and torts, and administrative law.
Mike's appellate representation has resulted in over thirty-five reported decisions, and those decisions can be accessed on the links below. From 2008 through the present, Mike has obtained complete or partial reversals/vacations in ten out of fifteen cases he has handled at the Court of Appeals on behalf of appellants. During the same time period he has upheld lower court results in the two times he has appeared before the Supreme Court on behalf of appellees.
Mike has regularly represented individuals in domestic relations matters for the entirety of his practice, advocating for clients in all areas of family law, including custody, child support, alimony, property distribution, and contested adoptions. He also regularly represents clients in commercial litigation matters, landlord/tenant disputes, and administrative matters. Mike's extensive experience in the appellate arena gives him credibility in representing clients in trial courts throughout the state.
In over twenty-four years of practice, Mike has made court appearances in fifty-one out of North Carolina’s one hundred counties.
Mike has been recognized by Business North Carolina magazine's Legal Elite (2009-2011, 2013-2014) in the area of family law.
A proud father of two recently ranked Eagle Scouts, Mike has been a Boy Scout/Cub Scout leader for over ten years with the Occoneechee Council headquartered in Raleigh, NC.
- University of Virginia (J.D., 1990)
- Wake Forest University (M.A., 1987)
- Old Dominion University (B.A., 1985)
Admitted to Practice
- State of North Carolina, 1990
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- 10th Judicial District Bar
- Professionalism Committee (1998-2006)
- Appellate Practice & Procedure (Continuing Legal Education 2007)
- Jury Selection in Domestic Cases (CLE 2006)
- Debt Collection from Start to Finish (CLE 2004)
- Evidentiary & Procedural Considerations in Domestic Cases (CLE 2003)
- Evictions and Landlord/Tenant Law in North Carolina, (CLE 2002)
- Advanced Equitable Distribution, (CLE 1999)
- Civil Trial Practice, (CLE 1995)