Direct: (919) 510-9251
Fax: (919) 325-4621
3605 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27612
Robert S. Shields, Jr. is a member of Manning Fulton’s litigation practice. He has over 30 years of experience representing clients in a wide variety of civil litigation matters. His broad range of experience spans from professional liability defense and catastrophic damages to commercial real estate litigation and business related disputes. Rob has represented corporations, attorneys, physicians, and hospitals as well as healthcare providers in disciplinary matters including licensing, privileges and contractual rights pending before the North Carolina Medical Board. Rob also has extensive experience in representing individuals in domestic relations matters in all areas of family law including: custody, child support, alimony and equitable distribution. He has tried numerous alimony cases in jury trials.
Rob has been certified as a mediator by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission.
Clients benefit from Rob’s love of the courtroom and his passion for trying a case. He has earned the reputation of being aggressive both in the court room and in his preparation of a case before it ever goes to trial. Rob is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2015) in the category of Medical Malpractice and has been listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers since 2007.
Rob began his career at Manning Fulton in 1981 where he practiced law for 10 years before returning to his hometown of New Bern, North Carolina. He spent the next 16 years working with the law firm of Harris, Shields and Creech. In 2007, Rob returned to Raleigh and reunited with Manning Fulton where he continues to practice. He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and the University of North Carolina School of Law. While earning his law degree, he represented his school on its National Moot Court team at the National Final Rounds.
Rob is married to his wife Ginger and they have four children, Robert, Claude, Ryan and Rachel. He has served as a volunteer with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes for more than 20 years. He is a member of Christ Baptist Church in Raleigh. Rob offers motivational speeches and presentations to various youth groups and professional audiences on topics including leadership and teamwork.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D., 1981)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1978)
Admitted to Practice
- State of North Carolina, 1981
- Successfully defended a vascular surgeon and obtained a jury verdict of no liability against a $3.5 million demand by a patient who suffered a spinal cord infarct and resulting paralysis from an abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery.
- Successfully defended a radiologist and surgeon from a $25 million dollar jury verdict in a case where multiple healthcare providers had allegedly failed to suspect and report child abuse in a young boy who subsequently suffered a traumatic brain injury. The radiologist was dismissed prior to trial and the surgeon was dismissed following testimony of the first witness. The Plaintiffs went on to obtain a $25 million dollar jury verdict from the remaining defendants.
- Obtained a jury verdict of no-liability for an anesthesiologist who attempted to intubate a patient more than 10 times resulting in a tracheostomy and the patient’s subsequent death. Plaintiff’s jury demand was $3 million dollars.
- Effectively obtained favorable “nuisance value” settlements for a Bariatric surgeon who was sued by over 35 patients for misrepresenting the type of surgery he was to perform. The Plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $25 million dollars.
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Former Director
- Defense Research Institute
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- President, Eastern NC Chapter
- NC American Society of Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Summit Church
- Christ Baptist Church, Member