As all companies know, even the best-prepared employer may face an employment-related claim or lawsuit. If this occurs, we have the experience and expertise to defend your rights. We have extensive experience representing employers in complaint investigations and administrative proceedings by state and federal agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the U.S. and North Carolina Departments of Labor.
We also have extensive experience in defending businesses against employment-related claims in state and federal courts, as well as employment-related arbitrations conducted under the American Arbitration Association’s Rules for Resolution of Employment Disputes. Examples of the types of claims we have handled include:
- Common law wrongful discharge and discharge in violation of public policy
- Discrimination based on gender, race, age, religion, national origin, disability status
- Wage and Hour Claims, including Class Action Lawsuits
- Intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress
- Defamation claims
- Claims for retaliatory discharge
- Our experience also extends to litigating bet the company trade-secret disputes and breach of non-compete, non-solicitation or non-disclosure agreement disputes and defending against overly broad and unenforceable restrictions either through injunctive relief granted by the courts or by negotiated settlement. We have also been successful in freeing employees who wish to go to work for others or start their own businesses from overreaching and unreasonable non-compete or non-solicitation agreements.