Following is a quick list of our top recommendations to close out 2018 and start 2019 on the right foot.
- Check Company Agreements. Confirm that all operating agreements or shareholder agreements are up-to-date and fully executed and that all members/shareholders have a copy. If amendments are necessary, contact your attorney to make the revisions.
- Review Employee Handbook. Are any changes needed to your Employee Handbook? The end of the year is a good time to review policies and procedures and examine how they worked in 2018. If revisions are necessary, contact your attorney to make the necessary changes.
- Examine Employment Agreements. Make sure any employment agreements are updated or amended to reflect changes in ownership or term expiration. Often these agreements are signed and then forgotten about, resulting in the agreements lapsing or terminating.
- Confirm Non-Compete, Non-Solicit and Confidentiality Agreements. Confirm that all relevant employee files contain non-compete, non-solicit and confidentiality agreements with all necessary signatures.
- Revisit your Payroll Arrangements. Contact your payroll company or CPA to confirm that you are properly providing and taxing employee benefits. Changes in healthcare laws and laws related to fringe benefits can create traps for the unwary.
Many employment issues can be avoided or minimized if the company takes the time to prepare on the front end. If we can put our experience to work for you on any of these items, just let us know.
Happy New Year!
Jennifer, Will & Emily