Experienced, Dedicated Franchise Lawyers Serving Brands in Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, North Carolina and Nationwide
Our Franchise and Hospitality Practice works with both hospitality and non-hospitality focused brands on growing their businesses.
Successful businesses grow by developing a network for aggressive product and service distribution—the kind that captures profitable market share and grows a solid customer base. Manning Fulton lawyers know how to create franchise and distribution networks that strengthen our clients’ global reach. Our lawyers also represent franchisees to help them build their business and protect their investment.
For more than 60 years, Manning Fulton has helped clients manage their vital interests in an increasingly complex environment. Franchisor and supplier relationships are subject to complex and far-reaching state and federal laws and government regulations governing franchise relationships. State laws are often contradictory and federal law on antitrust and pricing can trap the unwary. Single and multi-unit franchisees must integrate with existing franchise systems while complying with these laws and regulations. Manning Fulton lawyers understand these issues from all sides. We know how to get deals done and help franchise businesses thrive.
Our franchise attorneys have been recognized for their expertise. Manning Fulton’s franchise practice has been designated by Best Lawyers® as the top franchise law firm in North Carolina. Both Best Lawyers® and US News & World Report’s Best Law Firms identify our franchise practice as the top franchise practice in Raleigh. Our franchise team includes the greatest number of North Carolina attorneys designated Certified Franchise Executives by the Institute of Certified Franchise Executives, as well as the founding Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Section’s Committee on Franchising.
When we counsel our franchisor and supplier clients, we help them:
- Determine effective ways to distribute products and services domestically and internationally
- Determine whether the proposed distribution system is exempted under federal and state franchise and business opportunity laws
- Prepare franchise agreements, distribution agreements, Franchise Disclosure Documents, and obtain regulatory approval from federal, state and international regulators.
- Obtain trademark protection for the distribution system’s trademarks
- Understand day-to-day legal issues that arise in the operation of a franchise/distribution system
- Comply with franchise/business opportunity advertising regulations
- Acquire or sell existing franchise systems
- Resolve disputes with franchisees and distributors
- Secure debt and equity financing for growth
- Buy and sell retail, warehouse and office real estate
When we counsel our franchisee clients, we help them:
- Review and negotiate terms of franchise agreements
- Expand their businesses in the US and internationally by acquiring new franchise rights or purchasing existing franchise locations
- Secure necessary financing to grow the franchise
- Handle franchise real estate issues
- Structure tax-efficient business operations
- Resolve disputes with franchisers and suppliers
- Deal with employment law issues
Manning Fulton’s lawyers maintain their broad knowledge in franchising and distribution law through their membership and participation in both the International Franchise Association and the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising. This technical knowledge combined with our practical experience assists us in representing clients in every stage of creating, maintaining and operating a successful franchise structure.
Our franchise and distribution clients trust Manning Fulton to help grow and protect their franchise business investments by focusing on what matters. Our lawyers are committed to these clients, using all the resources at our command to help them grow.
Hospitality businesses must navigate an array of business issues to successfully grow. Whether purchasing or leasing real estate, securing permit and licenses, complying with an ever-changing employment landscape, securing debt and equity capital or protecting their intellectual property, restaurant and hotel operators need an experienced legal team to help them successfully navigate the legal complexities so they can focus on growing their business.
Manning Fulton’s multidisciplinary team includes attorneys who know the hospitality industry because we have been a strategic partner in growing some of North Carolina’s most successful restaurant brands and experienced hotel operations, both franchised and independent chains. Our experience drives our approach to the needs of restaurant and hotel operators. We bring together attorneys who practice in corporate, franchise, employment, real estate, and intellectual property to help each client grow their brand. If litigation required, our experienced team of commercial litigators bring their knowledge of both the industry and the law to the table to advance our client’s interest.